Join us, as a competitor or spectator, for the Hellzapoppin’ Competition on Saturday afternoon! There will be social dancing for all spectators throughout the afternoon, during the competition breaks.
- 1:30pm doors open for check-in
- 2:00pm line up competitors
- 2:15pm preliminaries start
- 4:00pm semi-finals start
In accordance with the values of Frankie Manning himself and the Frankie Manning Foundation, the Hellzapoppin’ Competition values:
- Having fun dancing the Lindy Hop
- Historic authenticity in Lindy Hop dancing and music
- Improvisation and continued innovation
- Close relationship between the music and the dance
- Maintaining a true community among dancers
- Mutual respect and cooperation
- Inclusivity (diverse backgrounds: geographic, ethnic, socio-economic, age, ability, etc.)
- Excellence, which can be encouraged through friendly competition
The Frankie Centennial will feature a single, winner-takes-all Lindy Hop throw down. The competition will be based on a social dance (strictly) format and is open to all ages, levels, and nations. Within the context of the values listed above, there are no actual competition rules – just dance. The competition will be judged by a cast of special guests. Dancers register as couples and will dance to music selected by the Frankie 100 team. The finals will be danced in a jam format to a live band.
The competition may be paid in full at the time of event registration, or you may login to your account and sign up for the competition later… up to the time that the competition has sold out. There are no refunds on entry fees, however the entry can be transferred (one or both partners names changed) at no additional cost.
Prelims will take place in the daytime earlier in the weekend and the finals likely on Sunday night, TBA.
The entry fee is $50/couple and the grand prize is $1000!
Attending the competition, along with most of the options listed in the A-Z drop down menu, is included in your Frankie 100 pass. Frankie 100 pass holders should pre-register for each option they want to attend starting on February 15th. Please see http://frankie100.com/sneak-peek-personalize-your-frankie-100-experience/ for more information.