Count down to Frankie 100!
THANK YOU to the following individuals for their generous support of the Frankie 100 Scholarship Program. For more information and to make a donation, please visit the Scholarship page.
FRANKIE 100: Frankie Manning Centennial & World Lindy Hop Day
Celebrate the life and legacy of Lindy Hop legend Frankie Manning on his 100th birthday
From May 22nd – May 26th, 2014, New York City, the birthplace of Lindy Hop and the Savoy Ballroom, will play host to a spectacular birthday celebration for Lindy Hop Legend Frankie Manning, one of America’s most charming and inspirational cultural ambassadors.
Lindy Hoppers, jazz musicians, swing legends, friends and supporters from around the world will descend upon New York City for five days and nights of dancing. The event will include:
- social dancing to incredible live music
- workshops taught by the best lindy hop teachers and dancers in the world
- the return of the Hellzapoppin’ dance competition
- tribute performances
- panel discussions
- video presentations
To celebrate and remember Frankie Manning, the Ambassador of Swing, by naming May 26th as World Lindy Hop Day, an annual festival that brings together communities from around the world to celebrate the roots and origins of Lindy Hop and Big Band Swing.
This is the first major birthday event since Frankie passed away. At the 95 event, Frankie had so recently passed away that the event had an obvious and clear with a focused spirit and message.
While he was alive, Frankie played a critical role as a “North Star” for the dance, not only as a creator and early innovator but also as the key figure and positive presence who led and shaped the revival.
Now that some time has passed, Frankie’s message and values may not be as clear and we want to reaffirm his positive spirit. This event has the potential to orient and shape the world scene now and for the next 5 years. By setting the right tone for this event, we can reaffirm Frankie’s key values.
With a new generation of dancers coming up who never met or saw Frankie this event provides a unique opportunity to bring the Lindy world together to reaffirm Frankie’s legacy, his values, and vision for the dance and to imbue current and future generations with Frankie’s spirit. Frankie 100 is also an opportunity to honor the history of the original swing era as well as the key players in the Lindy Hop revival.
There are many values that we would like to renew and Frankie 100 seeks to remind people to be more like Frankie in the following ways.
- who is nice to everyone and says yes when asked to dance;
- who dances with joy;
- who is a great ambassador of Lindy Hop;
- who makes their partner feel like a queen/king;
- who loves lindy hop and big band era swing music;
- who is passionate about getting others involved;
- who is humble;
- who lifts people’s spirits and makes them happy;
- who knows how to rise above offenses and politics;
- who avoids controversy;
- who is careful about people’s feelings;
- who gives respect as much as they want to receive it;
- who is generous. No matter what Frankie was asked to do: perform, sign shoes, radio show, etc. etc. he was willing if it was good for lindy hop.
- who dances with the raw abandon of Lindy Hop – spirited and sometimes fast – as it was danced at the Savoy Ballroom.
- whose Lindy Hop is authentic, as in true to oneself and with connections to the roots of the dance.
*Photo credit: Ralph Gabriner